Re: My Guile Wishlist

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: My Guile Wishlist
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 23:57:52 -0600

Evan Prodromou <address@hidden> writes:

> * I wish that Guile had a single mechanism, using lex-and-yacc-style
>   syntax, to define emulators for other languages. I'm not
>   particularly crazy about the whole language-emulation hoohaw, and
>   I'd never, ever use it, but it's driving me nuts (arr) seeing very
>   smart people waste their time on one-off emulation tools. I'd really
>   love to see them become trivial -- or at least semi-trivial --
>   efforts.

You and me both.  Very strange that :>

I've heard good things about Zebu, but never used it.  It's here along
with many others...

  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/scheme-repository/code.lang.html

> * I wish that Guile had a single, _core_ compilation feature --
>   whether the compilation is into bytecode, or native code, or is
>   just-in-time compilation using GNU Lightning. Not that I love
>   compiled code oh-so-much, but again because I'm tired of seeing all
>   these one-off side projects that get bit rot and die.

This is *DEFNIITELY* on the (virtual) list -- but after talking with
Marius, I tend to agree that doing it "right" will probably take a
little bit of time.  It likely a non-trivial shift from the purely
interpreted system that we have now, to something structured in a
fashion more amenable to compilation.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu