Re: guile as extension language

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: guile as extension language
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:24:10 -0400

I am sure the experts will say more, but as a simple user I can say
that you can indeed embed (lib)guile into your executable w/out the
need to talk to the guile executable via sockets (ick!).

There are 2 ends of a spectrum in how you can embed guile.  On one
end, you can do everything in scheme and call scheme wrapped versions
of your library's functions.  On the other, you can do everything in
C/C++ and call into scheme either by passing strings of scheme code to
guile or via guile's scm_ C functions using "SCM" objects.

I have written both type of applications and both models are easy to
develop.  However, since dia's main loop is under GTK+'s control, you
will likely tend toward the former.

BTW, I think it would be way cool to extend dia with guile.  Do you
intend to use scheme as an output format instead of the current XML,
or just use it for run time extension, a'la emacs?

Regards,
-Brett.