Re: translators and scoping rules (was: Re: language translator help)

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: translators and scoping rules (was: Re: language translator help)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:37:06 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 28-Apr-2002, Per Bothner <address@hidden> wrote:

| Am I right in guesing that Octave uses dynamic scoping, rather than
| lexical scoping?

Are those the only choices?  :-)

The rules are essentially the same as for Fortran.  Variables are
local to functions (subroutines).  The only "global" variables are
declared global (common).

What I was referring to was whether the following is defined,
assuming f(10) is called with no global definition of x:

function f (x)
  f = g()
endfunction

functioon g()
  g = x
endfunction

If this is allowed then you can't use normal Scheme variable functions
for function parameter, even without using eval.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/