Re: language translator help

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:57:29 GMT

John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> FWIW, my mind has apparently been corrupted by procedural languages
> which have nice (to me at least, and I suspect I'm not the only one)
> looping constructs, to the point that the equivalent forms for looping
> in Scheme seem pretty "sucky" by comparison.  :-)

"Recursion versus Looping" is one of the great performance hindrances in
most languages, as their compilers often optimise them differently.  You can
see this in the number of times replacing one with the other crops up in the
refactoring documentation.  The distinction is largely artificial, so by
removing one of them, Scheme comes out ahead.

What I want to know is whether it is possible to parallelise "map", which
could have huge performance boosts on multi-processor systems.  Will I trip
up from code that assumes map is an iterator?