Linking statically with libguile on Debian

From: David Allouche
Subject: Linking statically with libguile on Debian
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 01:28:08 +0200

Hello, I am new on this mailing list.

I am a TeXmacs developper and I currently have problems with statically
linking a binary against libguile 1.4 on Debian.

The problem is that:
address@hidden david$ guile-config link
-L/usr/lib -lguile -lqthreads -lpthread -lm

But at link time, I get the following error:
/usr/local/guile-1.4/lib/libguile.a(dynl.o): In function
`sysdep_dynl_link':
/home/david/Desktop/guile-core-1.4/libguile/dynl.c:243: undefined
reference to `lt_dlopenext'

The link command being:
c++  Objects/basic_group.o [...] Objects/std_widget_group.o -Wl,-Bstatic
-L /home/david/Desktop/TeXmacs/TeXmacs-src/TeXmacs-1.0.0.4/lib -lm
-Wl,-rpath, -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXext -lX11 -L/usr/local/guile-1.4/lib
-lguile -lm -ldl -o
/home/david/Desktop/TeXmacs/TeXmacs-src/TeXmacs-1.0.0.4/bin/texmacs.bin

That problem is fixed if I add -lltdl to the link command.

That problem do not appear on a Mandrake box on which it tested the
compilation. I noticed that, on that system, libguile was compiled
without thread support:
address@hidden TeXmacs-src]$ guile-config link
-L/usr/lib -lguile -lm

So I compiled the debianized guile-core package without thread and tried
recompiling my program against that new version (by adding
/usr/local/guile-1.4/bin at the beginning of my PATH), but the problem
persisted.

You may notice that the error messages I provided were produced using
that thread-disabled guile installation.

I also tried to compile the upstream guile-1.4 package, but compilation
failed.

Can someone clue me at what is wrong?
--

                                  -- David --