Re: language translator help

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: 15 May 2002 19:26:13 -0500

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 18:13, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> even more telling is distributors (who have well-articulated criteria
> for evaluating how packages can be good neighbors) refusing to upgrade.
> mega lose (for end users of apps that may benefit from newer guile
> versions had not the newer version been rejected).

I guess you're talking about Red Hat sticking with guile-1.3.4.   From
what I've heard, the policy of Red Hat is "no changes in minor version
number of core software without a major version number change of Red
Hat".  Therefore, there is no hope of any 1.4.x release getting into Red
Hat until at least 8.0.   Hopefully, by then there will be a guile-1.6
that is stable and available, and they will skip the 1.4 series
entirely.

What does this have to do with guile's extension system?  guile-1.4 is
uniformly better than 1.3.4 and I'm fairly sure it wasn't rejected on
merit.  Just version-number policy.

b.g.