Re: language translator help

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: language translator help
Date: 29 May 2002 20:56:27 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
>    Date: 27 May 2002 22:26:06 +0200
>
>    It is not about every single commit per se, but about every single
>    'work item' that is carried out in the stable branch.  We are at the
>    point (within the stable branch), where the permitted work items are
>    pretty small, like fixing a bug that has an obvious and simple fix or
>    workaround.  So (for the stable branch), Rob needs to approve almost
>    every single commit.
>
>    In the unstable branch, pretty much everything is possible.
>
> what does this have to do w/ "Guile 1.4.2" (see TODO).  it looks like
> you've got that confused w/ something else.

The text you quote is not about 1.4.2, but the general statement (that
I need not only be informed but also need to approve) is valid also
for the question whether there will be a 1.4.2.

> next on the plate under that top-level TODO item is to write a proposal
> given the recent research into libltdl capabilities and the plug-in arch
> survey, hardly so dangerous a task as to require yanking write privs.

I asked you to agree that we will first get consensus about whether
there will be a 1.4.2.  You did not do that, so I had to conclude that
you will not accept that I need to approve before you can work on a
1.4.2 release.  I think I have made the rules very simple and made it
easy for you to do the things that I want you to do.

Although I am currently of the opinion that we should not have a 1.4.x
release series, I am not saying that I can't be convinced or
out-numbered.

> in any case, good news: libltdl has been stable for two years and there
> are usages of lt_dlsetsearchpath in GNU software that we can consult for
> guidance.

Let me just mention again that the shared libraries are not only
loaded via lt_dlopen, but also by ld.so and ld.