Re: Guile and MS Windows on Major Govt. Project...

From: David Lane
Subject: Re: Guile and MS Windows on Major Govt. Project...
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:11:42 +0000 (GMT)

Around Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:14:37 UTC, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> I've got a chance to get Guile as the major programming language on a
> major government project, but in order for it to fly with the powers
> that be its got to work on Windows and Linux with GTK and Goops.
>
> But I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to build. I'm about
> ready to give up. I presume it should work but I can't even get guile of
> any version to build on Windows, let alone goops or guile-gtk. On linux
> I got it to work, although even then I had to spend a bit of time in
> hacking mode.

I don't know if this helps with your Windows requirement, but I have
gotten Guile 1.5.6 to build under Cygwin. I never tried to get it to build
under Mingw32.  It was rather a task; I needed new versions of some build
tools (libtool 1.4d and auto(make, conf, header, local) 1.6.1), and to run
the auto* things instead of using the configure script that comes in the
tarball.

There were a couple of edits in Makefile.am files to get everything to
build, and at least source file edit. I also recall having to hand fix a
few things as the build ran into trouble, such as creating symlinks to
libraries, etc.

The end result is a DLL version (guile.exe is about 4K); presumably it's
simpler to get it all statically built.

Just as an aside, it also only will do the guile-tut version of
recursive-factorial up to 387, after that having a stack overflow.  Since
the tutorial shows it working with 500, and it fails at the same 388 on
different machines (NT 4.0 sp6a 128MB && Win98 SE2 512MB), this seems more
of an internal limitation rather than an external resource constraint.

I have to admit I don't have a solid grasp of "proper tail-recursion"
where the tail recursion is within an expression, rather than just
"falling off the end."

> Can anybody help me out or tell me if what I'm trying to do is impossible?
>
> Or is there another Scheme that works on Linux and Windows with an OO
> system and some decent gui library like GTK?

I have a unified diff but it's about 3MB since it includes the files that
get created by auto* (Makefile, Makefile.in, configure, etc).

David Lane