Re: Guile and MS Windows on Major Govt. Project...

From: Chris Bitmead
Subject: Re: Guile and MS Windows on Major Govt. Project...
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:33:34 +1000

Could you also send me the patch?

(I'm looking at plt-scheme. The object system looks pretty ugly to me).

David Lane wrote:

Around Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:14:37 UTC, Chris Bitmead wrote:
I've got a chance to get Guile as the major programming language on a major government project, but in order for it to fly with the powers that be its got to work on Windows and Linux with GTK and Goops.

But I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it to build. I'm about ready to give up. I presume it should work but I can't even get guile of any version to build on Windows, let alone goops or guile-gtk. On linux I got it to work, although even then I had to spend a bit of time in hacking mode.

I don't know if this helps with your Windows requirement, but I have
gotten Guile 1.5.6 to build under Cygwin. I never tried to get it to build
under Mingw32.  It was rather a task; I needed new versions of some build
tools (libtool 1.4d and auto(make, conf, header, local) 1.6.1), and to run
the auto* things instead of using the configure script that comes in the
tarball.

There were a couple of edits in Makefile.am files to get everything to
build, and at least source file edit. I also recall having to hand fix a
few things as the build ran into trouble, such as creating symlinks to
libraries, etc.

The end result is a DLL version (guile.exe is about 4K); presumably it's
simpler to get it all statically built.

Just as an aside, it also only will do the guile-tut version of
recursive-factorial up to 387, after that having a stack overflow.  Since
the tutorial shows it working with 500, and it fails at the same 388 on
different machines (NT 4.0 sp6a 128MB && Win98 SE2 512MB), this seems more
of an internal limitation rather than an external resource constraint.

I have to admit I don't have a solid grasp of "proper tail-recursion"
where the tail recursion is within an expression, rather than just
"falling off the end."

Can anybody help me out or tell me if what I'm trying to do is impossible?

Or is there another Scheme that works on Linux and Windows with an OO system and some decent gui library like GTK?

I have a unified diff but it's about 3MB since it includes the files that
get created by auto* (Makefile, Makefile.in, configure, etc).

David Lane