Re: Questions about embedding Guile

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Questions about embedding Guile
Date: 13 Aug 2002 23:17:57 +0200

Jesse Marlin <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not sure if this is the right list for this kind of question.

<address@hidden> would also be more appropriate.  I have CCed us
there.

> I am considering embedding guile in an application, and have some
> questions about doing this.  The application will be using GTK.

Do you know about guile-gtk?

> I see three possible ways of doing this one of which may not be a
> way at all:
>
> 1.  Using GTK's event loop for control and processing guile events
>     either one at a time or a glob.

Guile does not have events just like C does not have events.  You
don't need to do something special to 'keep Guile running'.  However,
you need to take the same care in your Scheme programs to keep Gtk
running as you need to in C code.

> 2.  Using Guile's event loop (or whatever it is referred to) and
>     processing GTK events either one at a time or a glob.

Guile-gtk offers this option...

> 3.  Run Guile in a seperate thread.

and also this.  Guile-gtk can run the Gtk event loop in a separate
Guile thread.

Does this help?