defining new character names?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: defining new character names?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:07:33 +0200

  Hi folks,

I'd like to be able to do something like this:

(define-character "paren-close" #\051) ; 051 is ")"

and then later

(string-index line #\paren-close)

I can of course define a normal variable for this, but then
it won't shine from the usage that it is a character in the
way the above does.

I've looked in libguile/chars.{c,h} and the guile docs, but
didn't find any obvious way to do this.  Is it possible?

The reason i'd like to do this is that inserting #\) in the
scheme file makes the vim "%" command unusable over those
blocks (and it's not as easy on the eye either), and there was
no alternate name for that char other than using the octal
ascii value.

Cheers,

  Lars J