Re: guile & automake

From: Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: guile & automake
Date: 31 Aug 2002 18:53:58 -0600

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it is OK to hardcode pgkdatadir as $(datadir)/guile.  We are
> not going to change this as far as I can see.

The problem is that this is not necessarily true.  On my machine, for
example, guile is installed in /usr, but a third-party package used
with guile would go into /usr/local.  I suppose that the Best Thing
would be simply customise one's %load-path (this is, in fact, what
I've done--I don't bother trying to properly install in
/usr/share/guile/site, but instead install in
$(datadir)/travlib/libtrav (long story, that...).

It's important to be able to install modules where guile will see 'em,
and this location will vary from installation to installation.
There's no straightforward mapping from where guile is installed to
where the third-party package will be installed.  It's a tricky
problem, but I think that Thien's solution is the closest to a nice
solution that we're going to get.

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Very often many things are said by the Holy Scriptures and in it many