Re: guile-doc-snarf in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: guile-doc-snarf in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin?
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:32:06 -0700

   From: P Pareit <address@hidden>
   Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:39:07 +0200

   The command guile-doc-snarf is on my pc, but in the directory from
   where I build guile, not in /usr/bin. There is a guile-snarf command
   in the /usr/bin directory. My question, should guile-doc-snarf be
   moved to the /usr/bin or should I do something else?

guile-doc-snarf is an unsupported program that suffers from reliance on
awk script components, which means it is not easily installable (moving
it around means you have to move the awk scripts, too, and update the
paths to them).  also, it doesn't handle scheme code.  it's use by scwm
is a mistake -- perhaps you can help the scwm folks fix that.

i suggest you use "guile-tools c2doc" for C code and "guile-tools
doc-snarf -D" for scheme code.  these are available in guile-1.4.1.84
(snapshot precursor to 1.4.2) under directory:

  http://www.glug.org/tmp/2002-09/

and are themselves documented in the manual (i.e., likely to remain
supported in the future), as well as used in the guile build process
itself.  guile-doc-snarf will no longer be distributed w/ 1.4.x.

please let me know (preferably before 1.4.2 release) if you encounter
any problems w/ these programs or with their documentation.

thi