Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:59:54 -0500

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> 2) It is always the right thing for guile to open the library in
>    exactly the installed path.  (If not, scheme files like ice-9/foo
>    should be searched for in the same way - it makes no sense to do
>    these differently, and without a complete solution you can't unpack
>    a built guile someplace else.)

If we wanted to make the dlopened libs behave more like .scm files one
thing we might be able to do is put guile's prefix/lib dir at the
*end* of the libltdl search path briefly during a load.  This would
cause guile to fall-back to the prefix/lib whenever no envt vars are
specified (just as guile does for .scm files when GUILE_LOAD_PATH
isn't specified), but still allow overrides when appropriate.  Though
I'd need to consider this further before I could feel comfortable
recommending it.

> It would be instructive to look at gimp and plugins (these files are
> really plugins, not 'shared libraries', although that's a fine
> distinction):
>
>   /usr/X11R6/libexec/gimp/1.1/modules:

This approach is fine as long as you don't want other applications and
libraries linking against your libraries (at least if you're not going
to require -R).

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu