Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: 23 Sep 2002 13:20:57 -0600

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> > If two seperate packages use the same name for a command,
>
> That doesn't happen with slashpackage, because there's a global
> registry for command names.  If one package is already using a
> certain name, no one will be able to register it for another
> package.

By `package,' I mean a software package, not a slashpackage package.
That is, if one software suite uses lstr to mean `list translations,'
and another uses it to mean `last record,' then you're going to have a
collision, not matter what system you use.  In this case, it sounds as
though one cannot install both packages.  Which is perhaps an
improvement over the current method, in which one installs them and
wonders why the new package works while the old breaks.

Stow, incidentally, screams if one tries to install two things with
the same name.  Which is nice.

> > > With slashpackage, it's as simple as "package/install".
> >
> > That means a custom install script must be used--with stow, one
> > uses the standard GNU tools.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by `custom.'  The package/install script
> is included in the package's tarball.

It's something non-standard which someone, somewhere must write.  With
stow, I download a package and install it, whether or not that author
had any idea of me using it.  With slashpackage, if the author hasn't
provided it, I must.

> Also, you don't always use the GNU tools with stow.  You use
> whatever tools the package comes with.

Fortunately, nearly everyone uses GNU autoconf/automake, and those who
don't typically provide similar install-elsewhere functionality.  But
yes, in the last reckoning there are painful instances.

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
There is no place for nationalism in the Church.  All are one in