Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: tomas
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:19:20 +0200

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:56:13PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
>
> >  - Putting things in a standard place [...]
> >    I can't agree here -- those standard places are meant for libraries
> >    that can and will be shared by many different applications.
>
> When we can offer our libraries to "many different" applications, why
> shouldn't we do it?  Guile is not foremost an application, it _is_ a
> library that is meant to be used by many different applications.  It's
> 'extensions' (like libguilereadline, libguile-srfi-* or libguilegtk)
> are in the same category.

[...]

Still, I think there are libs which make sense without Guile and some
which don't (the libguile-srfi* bunch comes to mind). Putting (or at
least having the possibility to put) those in a place ``out of the
way'' reduces clutter and seems to me good practice.

> Why not?  Are you afraid that the presence of the Guile libraries in
> the search path will harm other code?

The problem comes again when running `monster apps' like Apache, which
have tons of little plugins. Imagine all of the libraries have ideas
of their own about how $LD_LIBRARY_PATH should like. No, I think rather
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be something you use in pre-install test scripts
and as a desperate last resort.

[...]

> We will 'fork' libltdl for Guile and fix it for our use.

Hopefully the libltdl people catch up ;-)

Regards
-- tomas