Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:43:50 -0400

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> But how about this: when linking one of Guile's own libraries,
>> temoporarily prepend (assq-ref %guile-build-info 'libdir) to
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH, whichever is searched first.
>> Would that satisfy everyone?
>
> Why is that better than always and system-wide prepending $(libdir) to
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

It's less error-prone.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be gotten wrong after
installation - by users.  Whereas if Guile looks in libdir
automatically (as it could with a fixed libltdl), then as long as
installation was done correctly, users can't shoot themselves in the
foot that way.

>> On my system, each installation of each version of each package gets
>> its own unique installation prefix.  I configure each package to find
>> the libraries it needs at compile time; LD_LIBRARY_PATH would be
>> awfully big if I didn't.
>
> Why is it a problem to have a long LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Environment space is limited, so that scales only so far.  I don't
know what the limit is for rpath, if any, but per-package compile-time
configuration can be limited to include only the libraries that that
package needs, so it doesn't grow as fast anyway.

> You do need a long PATH already, no?

No.  All commands are symlinked in /command, so that's the only
directory in my global PATH.  But that's a wart, it's one more thing
to have to maintain, and I don't want to have to create a similar one
for libraries.

paul