Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:38:20 -0400

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I really do strongly believe that when you install software into
> /usr/local but the system can't find shared libraries in
> /usr/local/lib by default, then the system is not correctly
> configured, not the package that has been installed into /usr/local.
> Same with any other prefix.

Ok, but my way of configuring the system to find those libraries is to
use ld -R.  If libltdl is fixed to look in such directories, then each
admin gets to choose whether to use -R or LD_LIBRARY_PATH on their own
systems, so everybody's happy.  Right?

I'm not asking for Guile to automatically supply -R${libdir}.  I can
add that to LDFLAGS myself, and those who don't like that way of doing
things can leave it out.  But I would like for -R${libdir} to be used
by libltdl, if I supply it.

paul