Re: Heap is growing without bound

From: Marc Singer
Subject: Re: Heap is growing without bound
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:34:17 -0700

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:31:11PM +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Marc> I'm using guile in a program intended to run continuously for years.
>     Marc> I'm observing that the freestore is growing without bound.  What
> can I
>     Marc> do to discover the cause for this?
>
>     Marc> I've determined that alloc_some_heap is being called every few hours
>     Marc> to add about 300K of space to the freestore.  I'm not sure that the
>     Marc> allocations in the freestore are growing.  My vmsize is getting
> larger
>     Marc> as is the size of the working set.
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> For this kind of problem, you will almost certainly need either to
> share your program with us, or - if you can't do that - find a way to
> reproduce the problem with a simplified program that you can share.

Let me see what I can do.  It is probably possible for me to do this.
I'm still looking for proof that there is a problem.  This means that
I'm looking for some kind of incriminating detail.  At the moment, all
I can be sure of is that the virtual memory space for my application
is growing and that there are several freestore regions allocated.