ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile

From: Rick Taube
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Common Music for Guile
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:54:31 -0500

Hi, Common Music (CM) is now available for Guile 1.6.0. Common Music is an
algorithmic music composition "environment" that can be used with a variety of
differnet sound syntheisis packages like CLM, Midi, Csound etc.  The cm archive
is available from CCRMA at:

ftp://ftp-ccrma.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/cm/sources/cm-2.4.0.tar.gz

I'd like to express my thanks to the many Guile developers for producing such a
friendly and powerful Lisp environment. I was really quite amazed at how
straight-forward it was to convert a large set of CLTL/CLOS sources over to
Guile/GOOPS. The Goops MOP is actually better than what you find in many of the
CLTL implementations.

There were really only a few things I missed from CLTL2 (besides loop :) )

1) a compiler
2) a compiler
3) a compiler
4) an equivelent for cl:*load-pathname* so a file can know what its name and
directory its in without having to deal with %load-path
5) some sort of save-application function so "images" can be saved and rebooted.

If 4 and 5 actually exist Id love to know about it.  I did read some notes
about a possible future compiler for Guile and I hope that this become a
reality. Music and sound syntheisis applications would benfit hugely from the
speedup!

best,
Rick Taube
Associate Professor Composition/Theory