Re: guile -s is it necessary?

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: guile -s is it necessary?
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:41:19 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> Is there any particular reason (besides of higher symmetry)
> you have to invoke a script as ``guile -s <script name>''
> instead of just ``guile <script name>''?

Ok, I thought of another possible problem.  Suppose a program wants to
invoke guile to process a script.  If -s is required, then the program
will use it.  If -s is optional, the programmer will be tempted to use
the plain "guile $script_name" form, which will be buggy if
script_name can start with "-".  Also consider code that parses a
guile command line - say, a wrapper around guile.  That code will also
have to be updated to accomodate making -s optional.

As it is, we can know what each argument is (i.e., a switch, a script
name, or a script argument) without looking at the contents of the
argument; we only need to look at the preceding arguments.  I think
that's valuable.

paul