Re: hash table handles

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: hash table handles
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:41:21 -0800

   From: address@hidden (Paul Jarc)
   Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:15:51 -0500

   Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
   > using cdr to access the associated data should be fine.

   I had no doubt of that.  My doubt is about set-cdr!.

sorry, i wasn't clear: "using cdr" should be "using the cdr", i.e., read
via "cdr", write via "set-cdr!".

   I don't see that in the 1.6.0 manual, so I'll assume it was added
   later.

see 1.4.1.91 manual, which derives from 1.5.7 and HEAD, mostly.  the
referenced portion is part of the hash*-get-handle docstrings harvested
automagically from libguile/hashtab.c by "make" in doc/ref/.

     Changes to the cdr of a handle (e.g., via set-cdr!) will be
     reflected in future lookups for the same key.  Changes to the car
     of a handle (e.g., via set-car!) may cause future lookups to fail.

or, "behavior after changing the car of a handle is unspecified."

thi