Re: Strange behaviour of array?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of array?
Date: 17 Nov 2002 16:29:35 +0100

Christopher Cramer <address@hidden> writes:

> I distinctly remember sending a patch to fix this to either bug-guile or
> guile-devel a loooong time ago, but I can't find it in the archives. I'm
> surprised it's not fixed in 1.6.0, but maybe it's because I never sent
> the patch in...

I'm hesitant to just apply this patch.  The 'array' stuff in Guile is
quite obscure, in my view, and fixing it piecewise does not seem to be
a good idea, given its (appearant) brittleness.  For example, with
your patch,

  guile> (array? "foo")
  #f

but

  guile> (array-ref "foo" 0)
  #\f

which is inconsistent.  On the other hand, we have now

  guile> (array? 'foo)
  #t

but

  guile> (array-ref 'foo 0)
  Wrong type argument in position 1: foo

which is also inconsistent.

The whole array stuff needs to be looked over, with SRFI-4 in mind.