Re: general debugging question

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: general debugging question
Date: 28 Nov 2002 09:13:53 +0000

    Stan> It is segfaulting somewhere...

    Stan> Is my only solution putting

    Stan> (format #f ...) in all my code, until I spot the place, or is there a
    Stan> guilish solution to that problem? (like printing the stack, or
    Stan> printing each call to a function?)

If you know what the top level call is, say `foo-bar', and you are
using unstable CVS, the following _might_ successfully tell you the
last Scheme thing that happened before the segv:

guile> (use-modules (ice-9 debugger breakpoints))
guile> (use-modules (ice-9 debugger breakpoints procedural))
guile> (trace-subtree! foo-bar)
guile> (foo-bar)

    Stan> or shall I use gdb? (and if yes, has anyone done that already?)

It would be nice if one could ask for a Scheme backtrace from GDB; I
don't think this is possible today.  (Maybe try `call
scm_backtrace()'.)

        Neil