Re: Killing threads?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Killing threads?
Date: 06 Dec 2002 16:25:28 +0100

Daniel Berntsson <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to run a function, hopefully until it is finished, but not more
> than a certain amount of time. I intended to do this by running it in
> a thread, wait until it finishes or the time is up and then kill it if
> it is still running. But I can't seem to find how to kill a
> thread. Isn't that possible?

Its possible to cancel thread at the C level (at least with POSIX
threads). However, thread cancellation introduces several
difficulties, so I guess it's not implemented at the scheme level. You
probably must find a user-space way to tell the thread that it should
terminate. If ypu tell a bit about what the thread does, I could maybe
give you some hints how to implement this.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |
address@hidden