Re: non-blocking keyboard input inside customized repl

From: Peter Santoro
Subject: Re: non-blocking keyboard input inside customized repl
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:01:17 -0500

Paul Jarc wrote:

Peter Santoro <address@hidden> wrote:
I would like to be able use non-blocking keyboard input in my
customized REPL user interface.  Is there a non-blocking read-char
available in guile, so that the ENTER key doesn't always have to be
pressed?

It sounds like what you want is raw terminal input.  Non-blocking
input is different: it means that (read-char) will return immediately
(possibly throwing an exception) even if there is nothing to read yet.

For raw terminal input, you'd need tcsetattr, which doesn't seem to be
directly available in Guile.  But maybe you can use the readline
module to do what you want.

paul

Paul, you are correct. I did mean to use "raw terminal" input instead of "non-blocking" input. I actually got this working in mzscheme and will endeavor to port over to guile.

Thanks,

Peter