Re: fluids for dynamic scoping

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: fluids for dynamic scoping
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:36:37 +0200

Viktor Pavlenko <address@hidden> writes:

> I intend to use with-fluids to simplify a data structure creation (see
> below). However, after reading some discussions in the mailing list
> archives regarding inherent "incorrectness" of fluid-let, I now have
> doubts if the following code is OK. Is there any way to achieve similar
> behavior without fluids?

The use of fluids in your code (MAKE-FLUID, FLUID-REF, WITH-FLUIDS) is
perfectly fine.

There has been discussion in the mailing list regarding FLUID-LET,
which (despite its name) has nothing to do with fluids (and which you
didn't use).  FLUID-LET tries to simulate dynamic scoping using
DYNAMIC-WIND and SET!, which fails in a multi-threaded environment.

--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe