Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:06:24 -0500

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> Can (use-modules ...) take a file from the current directory?
>
> How do I load pregexp support into Guile?  (It is supplied yet?)

Interesting, I didn't know about that, but for my own purposes, I
wrote a simple test-interface to libpcre (use-modules (pcre))...

More generally, I've been planning (when I have time) to raise the
"regexp" issue.  It was my perhaps incorrect impression that the
various regular expression libraries that we dectect and use in
configure.in aren't necessarily all that standard from platform to
platform.  If so, then it'd be nice to have a truly invariant regex
lib that we can rely on.  Without that, it's hard to write portable
scripts.

If there is indeed a compatibility issue with the set of "standard"
regular expression libs configure might pick, then I wonder if
providing libpcre everywhere might be an alternative, or if perhaps we
could just copy the regular expression code from emacs.  Of course
pregexp looks like another possible alternative.  Although until we
get a good compiler, or unless we compile it or hand-translate it to C
(via stalin somehow, hobbit, or similar), then I wouldn't expect it to
be nearly as fast as the first two alternatives.

In the end, I'd just like to have a powerful regex lib whose syntax
and behavior is invariant across all the platforms on which I'm likely
to run guile.

Thoughts?

--
Rob Browning