Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

       > Thanks again for the very interesting comments.

Hope they're useful.  Along those lines:

        > With respect (ice-9 regex), I'm inclined to agree with you.
        > If we can include a good POSIX implementation, then that
        > should fix the problems I've been asking about.

State of the world, as I know it:

* GNU regex

  Most versions are buggy.   RMS did some work on one fork (perhaps just
  the one in emacs) and I'm pretty sure he fixed all the Posix bugs.
  So, ask in that direction.

  Advantages:  simple, small, LGPL

  Disadvantages: slow on expressions that cause backtracking

  Uknowns: Posix compliant?  (guess bias towards "yes" for the latest
  from RMS)

* Henry Spencer's

  I haven't seen any more recent release than the one included in
  Tcl.

  Advantages: fast, Berkeley-ish license (GPL compatible), Unicode support

  Disadvantages: big and complicated.   Some Posix bugs (at least
  ca. mid-2002)

  Uknowns: still maintained?

* Isamu Hasegawa's (Latest glibc?)

  Advantages: smart implementor, DFAish, in glibc (so perhaps gets
  beaten upon), LGPL

  Disadvantages: odd space requirements, big and complicated

  Unknowns: Posix conformance status (guess bias: "good") and
  performance (guess bias: "good for short strings")

* Tom Lord's (latest arch, src/hackerlab)

  Advantages: DFAish, fast, good correctness tests, Unicode in
  low-level engine (but not (yet) via Posix entry points), good growth path
  basis for "what should a regexp srfi do".

  Disadvantages: big and complicated, GPL (probably flexible on that),
  regcomp is mildly slow (compared to GNU regex but regexec fast), can
  be a fickle beast to tune (but conversely: flexibly tunable).

  Unknowns: maintained? (c.f., my so-called life :-)

* Others

  Don't bother, imho.

It's mostly the "big and complicated" on all but one of those that
makes me suggest bundling a good fork of GNU regex, if you can get
one.

-t