Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)

From: Bill Schottstaedt
Subject: Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 04:52:35 -0700

>  (To give a concrete
> example from another thread, I see no need for people to write C code
> that uses scm_internal_catch.)

I use scm_internal_stack_catch a lot (and can't see any need for
Guile to remove it...) -- I pass closures/functions/user scheme code
around in C, as well as providing a "listener" where anything
might happen -- this would be clumsy to implement with some
callback to scheme (and no easier to write in scheme than in
C -- the tricky part is good error handling which Guile flubs
miserably anyway).  Why try to force people to write
scheme?  It seems to me that you're defeating the whole purpose
of Guile just to simplify its documentation.

Or to put it another way, if you don't have the C-level catch mechanism,
you better not use scm_apply or anything related to it.  That leaves
scm_num2int?