evaluating a file with out side effects

From: Thomas Mulcahy
Subject: evaluating a file with out side effects
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:25:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I'm attempting to use scheme to generate HTML for
a page like this:
http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.scm
(See http://okmij.org/ftp/Scheme/xml.html for the HTML
version).
To do this, I need to evaluate the contents of a file
and get the result. The guile load procedure returns
unspecified however, instead of the result of
evaluating the file. I can see how it would be
possible to evaluate each s-expression in the file but
this seems a bit awkward and would have side effects
(definitions in the file might overwrite my own
definitions). What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Thomas