Re: integrating guile in an apache module

From: rm
Subject: Re: integrating guile in an apache module
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:35:32 +0200

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:44:28PM +0300, George Moschovitis wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I am trying to code an apache2.0 module that uses guile for scripting
> dynamic html pages. My problem is that i have to enclose the main loop
> of the application in the scm_boot function for the gc to work according
> to the manuals.

What version of Guile do you intent to use? Recent version do not
need to wrap the application's 'main()' function (using other means
to detect the bottom of the stack) -- have a look at the documentation
for scm_init_guile() vs. scm_boot_guile().

> When writing an apache module I do not have control over the main loop,
> the http server just calls the handler method. Is there a way to
> overcome this problem? Has anyone tried something similar (mod_guile
> perhaps?)

Well, with Apache2 you might encounter other, more severe, problems as
well. Apache2 might run in multithreaded manner and hence there's a
high chance for several modules to execute in parallel. AFAIK guile
is'nt meant to be run in parallel (only one thread can use guile).

> Any info will be appreciated!

Hope that helps. BTW, are your trying to write an Apache2 mod_guile?

 Ralf Mattes