Re: integrating guile in an apache module

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: integrating guile in an apache module
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:11:15 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:44:28PM +0300, George Moschovitis wrote:

Hello everybody!

I am trying to code an apache2.0 module that uses guile for scripting
dynamic html pages.

Well, with Apache2 you might encounter other, more severe, problems as
well. Apache2 might run in multithreaded manner and hence there's a high chance for several modules to execute in parallel. AFAIK guile
is'nt meant to be run in parallel (only one thread can use guile).

You might consider using Kawa for scripting dynamic html web pages in
Scheme.  Kawa supports compiling a Scheme program to a "servlet" which
can run quite efficiently in a "servlet engine" such as Tomcat.  And
of course servlets are designed to be run using multiple threads.

This article show how simple it can be:
http://www.gnu.org/software/qexo/simple-xquery-webapp.html
The article uses the XQuery language, but using Scheme should
also work in the same way (though I haven't tried writing a
Scheme version of the example).  (To avoid mis-understandings:
Kawa is now a multi-language framework, providing implementations
of Scheme, Emacs Lisp, XQuery, and other languages.)

You might also consider BRL: http://brl.sourceforge.net/
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/