Re: LWN thread on gnucash, mentions guile

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: LWN thread on gnucash, mentions guile
Date: 12 Aug 2003 21:32:57 +0100

    Greg> Interestingly, that discussion focuses on whether "Scheme is
    Greg> too hard";

Given the success of Elisp, I think the "scheme is too hard" argument
is bogus.  IMO part of the problem is that the Gnucash developers
haven't yet provided the hooks needed to make it easy and productive
to hack Gnucash scheme code.

But it's not really fair to blame the developers for that; they can
only fit so much in the time available.  Gnucash is already a
phenomenal product and has come a long way in a short time.

    Greg> (They are looking for help - the thread is in response to a call for
    Greg> help from one of the lead gnucash developers.)

FWIW, my long term plan is to hack on Gnucash, because I use Gnucash
all the time myself and because it's one of the highest profile Guile
applications.  But before that I want to complete work-in-progress on
a Guile Emacs interface and on Guile debugging, so it's a long road
ahead.

        Neil