Re: Guile reliability/stability

From: Thamer Al-Harbash
Subject: Re: Guile reliability/stability
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:27:36 -0400 (EDT)

I have guile-1.6.4 hooked into a DHCP client I wrote, and am now
writing the server code with guile as the backend extension:

http://dhcp-agent.sf.net/

The client ships with a default system configuration scheme
script which performs system configuration. The idea is that its
safer to write it in Scheme than as a shell script since it all
runs as root. Also you can do callbacks into the client code to
perform things like icmp netmask discovery etc. This isn't
possible with the DHCP clients which use a shell script for
system configuration.

All the users I have spoken to directly have been running the
client from the latest release with no problems for weeks on
end. I haven't seen any memory leaks from guile. I know that
there were a couple of patches sent to the developers for GC bug
fixes for guile-1.6.x I haven't applied those myself.

Just as a note to anyone who has any interest in this project,
you will probably want to wait a couple of more releases since
I've been doing some non-backward compatible changes to the
scheme interface :)

--
Thamer Al-Harbash
GPG Key fingerprint: D7F3 1E3B F329 8DD5 FAE3  03B1 A663 E359 D686 AA1F