Re: PATCH: assume -s

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: PATCH: assume -s
Date: 04 Sep 2003 19:56:30 +0100

    Kevin> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >>
    >> No.  Personally I think this is useful.  Does it contravene some GNU
    >> standard though?

    Kevin> Well I guess it's a posix convention that `--' ends option
processing.
    Kevin> I think it'd be pretty important for consistency to do the same thing
    Kevin> with or without it.

I think there's room to interpret this convention as consistent with
the new behaviour.  From Guile's perspective, the script filename
appears as an option (as it always has done); non-options are not
passed into whatever code gets run as the value of (cdr
(command-line)).  All the recent change does is say that, for
convenience, you can leave out the "-s".

    >> (If the script uses getopt, though, I wonder if something like
    >> "guile foo.scm -s switch -- arg" works?  I'd guess it does.)

    Kevin> Hope so.  If args are passed to foo.scm then you wouldn't want
options
    Kevin> to be sought out right through the command line (the way gnu getopt
    Kevin> does), but instead left for foo to interpret.

Agreed, and this is what happens:

address@hidden ~]$ guile test.scm -s switch -- arg
("-s" "switch" "--" "arg")

where test.scm is: