Re: PATCH: docs GC protection functions

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: PATCH: docs GC protection functions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:57:32 +1000

Aaron VanDevender <address@hidden> writes:

> +* Protecting Smobs from Garbage Collection::

I don't think this applies specifically smobs, but to all objects.
And smobs would protect their internals with the mark function rather
than scm_gc_protect_object I think.

Somewhere under the "Memory Management" node looks like a better spot
to me (maybe that's where you had it before).

> address@hidden {C Function} SCM scm_gc_protect_object (SCM @var{obj})

Could probably put scm_gc_unprotect_object together here
(ie. @deftypefnx).

> address@hidden {C Function} SCM scm_permanent_object (SCM @var{obj})
> +Similar to @code{scm_gc_protect_object}

I'd be inclined to give this an independent description, rather than
referring to another function.

Could mention the typical use of scm_permanent_object in creating
globals for use by C code (either constants like symbols or strings,
or variables like hash tables or whatever).