Re: closing string output ports?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: closing string output ports?
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:30:07 +0200

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't really care about any of that, I just want to know what the
> correct procedure should be for a virtual port. Should the virtual
> port (close) the underlying port?

There is no simple answer.  Guile itself does not dictate a specific
behavior.  I'd say a good rule would be that the virtual port should
close its underlying port when it has openend it itself.  That is,
when the function that creates a new instance of your virtual port
type opens an underlying port specifically for this new instance, then
the close function of the virtual port should close the underlying
port.

> Right now, if the underlying port is closed by the virtual port I get
> an exception.
>
> This seems wrong, it seems like virtual ports should close the
> underlying ports... but what do I know?

What kind of exception is that?  (I guess the one about a cloed
stringport, right?)  Can you show a complete example?