Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:47:09 -0500

   From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
   Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:37:29 -0700 (PDT)

   Do you _really_ want to know?  It's a _large_ topic but one that does
   admit very precise analysis.

for me, to know is not as important as how i come to know (that is, the
learning process).  one of these days i'll finish writing the program
that will automatically produce the "illustrated guide to regular
expression engine internals" (as a specialization of the more general
illustrated guide to digital logic specification and evaluation).

   text pattern languages that require backtracking (but don't obviously
   lack linear alternatives of comperable expressiveness (but are dirt
   simple to implement)) and what do we do about regular expression
   engines that think they are only about contiguous text?

if i understand you correctly, this illustrated guide will have to admit
several fundamental regexp engines; there is no unifying architecture
possible.  (shrug.)  that's fine, too.  so it goes.

thi

[cc trimmed]