Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:59:02 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robert Marlow <address@hidden>

    > Whoa! when I saw "Chomsky" I at first thought of the Anarchist
    > Linguistics Professor Noam Chomsky. I didn't realise it actually WAS
    > named after him. I only really knew of his Anarchist acheivements (being
    > an anarchist myself and all). never thought I'd come accross an
    > application of his Linguistics research. That's made my day, thanks!

What frustrates me is that web resources on this topic seem to be so
thoroughly lacking.   I actually did, I'm sorry to admit, spend about
2 hrs looking for a good link on Google that covered the topic.

The cited wikpedia entries are fine, in their way, but if you don't
already know what they're talking about they won't help.   There's a
gazillion instances of "lecture notes" from this or that college
course that mostly just duplicate the wikpedia entry.   There's not
much beyond that.

There's an on-line doc from CMU, aimed at high-school students in a
summer science program, that is a fantastic one-pager (even for "grown
ups") -- but that is incomplete and non-rigorous.

It's really disappointing that if someone asks "where can I learn the
meaning of the chomsky hierarchy" the answer has to be "go to the
library or buy a book."

Gah!!!
-t