Re: Rudimentary BASIC->Guile converter

From: rm
Subject: Re: Rudimentary BASIC->Guile converter
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:40:46 +0100

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:54:36PM +0100, Luca Saiu wrote:
> Richard Todd wrote:
> >I've written the start of a BASIC -> Guile converter.
> >[...]
> >
> >I don't know if I'll finish it...I guess it depends a little on
> >whether anyone finds it useful.  That's why I'm posting this message.
>
>   Don't feel depressed! :-) Your translator seems quite simple, and the
> code it generates is readable enough; I think that due to its simplicity
> it could be useful, at least as a clean example of an X-to-Scheme
> translator. Probably there aren't so many BASIC-eager hackers in the
> free software community, but a reference translator from a little
> language is something useful we still lack.

Even if there are _no_ BASIC-eager hackers (as i hope) there's still
a need for such a translator: guile is meant to be used as an embedable
scripting language and there shure are a lot of end users with a strong
BASIC background.

Another usefull application or the transformer: applications like gnumeric
that need to import files that contain VBA code.

>   Polish it keeping it as minimal as you can, and publish it. My two
> cents. :-)

Yes!

>   To the website maintainers: why don't the Guile web pages (or the
> Free Software Directory) link to all the known free software X-to-Guile
> translators, epsecially the ones implemented in Guile? Having such
> translators is an important project goal if I understand well, and
> publicizing the existing ones could stimulate other people to continue
> the work.

Isn't this a known problem (?) of the "official" GNU websites? No links
to certain projects?

  Ralf Mattes