Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?
Date: 22 Dec 2003 11:03:46 +0000

>>>>> "marc0" == Marco Parrone (marc0) <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Marco,

    marc0> IMHO an integration/compatibility with Emacs will be a
    marc0> great thing.

This can mean several things, but there's work going on (slowly) on
all of them.  Guile CVS has an Elisp language translator, but which
lacks most of the editing-related primitives provided by the Emacs C
code.  Ken Raeburn, OTOH, is working on Guilifying the Emacs C
codebase, which would provide those primitives to Guile.  Guile CVS
also has several Emacs libraries that aim to make working with Guile
in Emacs easier.

    marc0> For example I'm developing a mail-to-news
    marc0> (http://www.nongnu.org/mail-to-news) gateway in Guile
    marc0> Scheme, and I'm finding myself implemeting almost only
    marc0> things already implemented in Emacs, and now I'm
    marc0> considering rewriting the program in Elisp - thing that I
    marc0> think will take much less time than finishing it in Guile
    marc0> Scheme.  As both Guile Scheme and Emacs Lisp are good
    marc0> languages, I can not justify myself the work required to
    marc0> duplicate the efforts.

If your use of Elisp would be for the language, rather than for the
editing primitives, then the translator in Guile CVS might suffice to
run an Elisp implementation of your program through Guile.

Regards,
        Neil