First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Richard Todd
Subject: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:21:28 -0600

I haven't heard back about my savannah project yet (probably a
combination of the security work and the holidays), but I don't want
to do too much more work without some feedback.  So I've put the work
I've done so far on my website.

http://www.vzavenue.net/~rwtodd5128/index.html

There's enough there now that you can get a sense of what I'm wanting
to do (and the rather large amount of work left to do).  Now would be
the best possible time to get your input in and help make this project
as useful to the guile community as possible.

The .info file has almost all the modules documented, and there is
passable coverage in the unit tests.  You should be able to 'make
check' before you 'make install' to run the unit tests.

Modules currently in the project, about 1/2 lifted from other sources,
about 1/2 I wrote over the last couple weeks:

* container queue::             Queues, Stacks, and Deques
* logging logger::              Logging mechanism
* logging port-log::            A log handler that outputs to ports
* logging rotating-log::        A log handler for rotating text file logs
* math minima::                 Finding minimum values of functions
* math primes::                 Functions dealing with prime numbers
* os process::                  Manipulating and creating process chains
* search basic::                Classic searching algorithms
* string completion::           Facilities for things like TAB-completion
* string soundex::              Soundex Algorithm
* string transform::            Transformations of strings
* string wrap::                 String wrapping and filling functions
* term ansi-color::             Colors text with ANSI sequences

(not documented yet)
* unit-test guileUnit           Unit test framework

...plus a couple more that aren't quite there yet

There are plenty of things to fill in, and help would be appreciated.  If you
have
a few hours one weekend, pull out your 'numerical recipes' book and make a
scheme
version of some algorithms.  Every time someone does this and contributes it to
the
library, the entire guile community gets more efficient.

Larger Things I'm working on/investigating now:------------------------------
* List Comprehensions, porting from Swindle Scheme library (having trouble
  due to implementation differences)

* Regexps that can work on ports.  This is needed to do things like work across
  a buffer-gap.  (is there anything else this would be useful for?? oh
  well, it's needed)

* Lexer Generator -- need this to complement (parse lalr), which I have yet to
put into the
  library either.  Bigloo seems to have a nice one that I may be able to port

Richard Todd
richardt at vzavenue dot net