Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:02:18 -0600

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:19:49PM -0500, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> Grep the slib sources for all instances of "provide" and then generate a new
> file "std/slib/symbol-that-is-provided.scm" that does a (use-modules (ice-9
> slib)), does a (require 'symbol-that-is-provided) and then exports all the
> symbols in the current model to the outside world

If I'm understanding you, this would be an slib wrapper such that guile users
would say:

(use-modules (slib factor))

and that file would look like:
----
(define-module (slib factor)
  #:uses-module (ice-9 slib))

(require 'factor)

;; and then export whatever slib factor uses for a public interface?
----

> (set-module-uses! %module-public-interface
>                   (list (nested-ref the-root-module '(app modules std slib
> symbol-that-is-provided))))

I'm not familiar with the set-module-uses! interface, so I'm not sure
what you are getting at there.  The guile info pages seem to be silent
on them as well.  Any hints?

This would certainly make slib more seamless for guile users.  I like
that it should allow people to use the guile renaming mechanism to
manage naming conflicts, whereas I don't think SLIB's require
mechanism accounts for that sort of thing.

For my tastes I'd still prefer (math primes) rather than (slib
factor), so that it fits into a larger, cohesive library.  I was also
hoping to not absorb parts of slib that overlap what guile already
provides, and that means changing the slib sources.  Maybe that's the
wrong answer, and I should just accept the duplication.

Richard Todd
richardt at vzavenue dot net