Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:32:15 -0600

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:00:28PM +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
>    From: Richard Todd <address@hidden>
>    Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:51:17 -0600
>
>    I don't follow why one-size-fits-all would reduce the immediate
>    usefulness of the libarary for some users.  Are you are talking about
>    a user who was already using an interface from another library that I
>    incorporated and changed?  Compared to the benefit to new users who
>    would not be faced with several disjoint interfaces, I think this is
>    insignificant (especially since they can keep on using the old lib if
>    they want).
>
> i presumed you wanted to build something useful to more than just new
> users.  it seems to me you want to "ask the community" to tell you what
> to do, but are not clear what comprises "the community", so now i'll ask
> explicitly: what is your target audience?  what assumptions are you
> making about this audience?  these answers will let me know if i am
> included, so that i can continue discussion or withdraw as appropriate.

In my view, the current level of guile usage is close to nil.  I want
to make steps to put guile in a place where it can reach a wider
audience.  So, the target audience does not yet exist, and this
project will succeed only to the extent that the current users want
that audience to materialize.

> personally, i don't care about code as much as interfaces (and their
> proper care and feeding).  bad code under a good interface can be fixed.
> bad interfaces can also be fixed, but at a higher cost.

Then perhaps you could critique the *interface* to the code I've put
out??  I agree that work on the interface would be more valuable than
if you found an off-by-1 error.  I'm not asking for that.

Richard Todd