Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: 05 Jan 2004 18:36:07 -0700

Richard Todd <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm hoping it ends up in-between, where we care enough to leave (std
> ...) behind.  Maybe indefinitely.  Maybe for a couple years, so people
> can upgrade old code.

The nice thing about permanent interfaces is that one can always compile
against them--which is why C code written by college students in the
early 80s is often still useful.  Or at least can be made to be so,
anyway:-)

> I don't want to argue about a hypothetical library cleanup for a
> library that doesn't exist yet.  I would like to put some effort into
> producing that library.

Naturally; it's very silly to care about supporting something which
doesn't even exist yet.  But it does make sense to consider what a good
usable design would entail ahead of time, so that no
backwards-incompatible changes to the API are needed in the future.
Scheme is nicer than C in this regard, of course, as optional & rest
parameters give one a certain flexibility.

Anyway, what's the URL again?  I really should try my hand at it.
Although my one true project is to figure out number->string well enough
to make it Do the Right Thing for decimals in bases other than 10 (I'm a
big fan of duodecimal).

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
According to the National Crime Survey administered by the Bureau of