[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: I get unknown immediate error in guile 1.7

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Re: I get unknown immediate error in guile 1.7
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:14:33 +0100

I solved the problem. It seems as linking (at least for me) is not done
in the right way for modules, neither for 1.6 or 1.7. Explanation below.

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 08:11, Roland Orre wrote:
> I've tried to get guile 1.7 work but I seem to have a problem with
> loadable modules. As soon as I call a function in them I get an
> "unknown-immediate" error. This possibly sounds like some include
> problem but as far as I know tag principles has not changed between
> 1.6 and 1.7.
> The most basic is readline of course as I haven't recompiled other
> modules yet. About readline, the file "libtool" was not created by
> in guile-readline so I linked to ../libtool instead.
> If I load an old (1.6) libguilereadline I get segmentation fault, which
> indicates some significant change. When I load the 1.7 libguilereadline
> I get the errors below after (activate-readline), any ideas?
> I've used gcc 3.3.2.

The problem showed to be that guile loaded wrong libraries, which was
caused by the the correct library files not having been created. Guile
had been reading wrong all the time. I noticed this
when I deinstalled the (debian distributed) guile-1.6. Then the library was not found for my locally compiled
guile-1.6 either, despite that I had included both
/usr/local/guile/guile-1.6.0/guile-readline in the LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH.

I then relinked the readline.o file under guile-readline with
the settings I use for my own modules, then it worked. The make
script is at the end. The correct guile-1.6 libguilereadline
file was read and the same procedure worked for guile-1.7 as well.
The problem probably has to do with the guile-readline
but how this script works is above my head.

The fundamental problem seems to be that the installation linking
is not done in the right way. None of the .la files under the
lib directory (${exec_prefix}/lib) contains any library references.
Observe that I used the name "libgreadline" in the script.

Here are the error messages given.
After a normal make install, where LTDL library is set as:
export LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/guile/guile-1.7/lib

I get the following (empty) error message:
  In procedure dynamic-link in expression 
  (load-extension "libguilereadline" "scm_init_readline"):
  file: "libguilereadline", message: ""

If I then also include /usr/local/guile/guile-1.7/guile-readline
first in the LTDL path, then I get the following error message:
 In procedure dynamic-link in expression
 (load-extension "libguilereadline" "scm_init_readline"):
 file: "libguilereadline", message: "|o\"@àÌ\x11\x08readline.a:
 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

If I then run the make script below under guile-readline then
it works. This newly created .la files contains library references
to the .so files created under .libs. 
I also included my configuration parameters below.

Have I done anything obviously wrong in the configuration?

# This make file generates a working libguilereadline

top_builddir = /usr/local/guile/guile-1.6.0
LIBS=../libguile/ -lreadline -lncurses
EXTRA=-version-info 10:0:0 -export-dynamic -no-undefined

all: libgreadline

libgreadline: readline.o
        echo sh ${top_builddir}/libtool --mode=link $(CC) $^ $(EXTRA) $(LIBS)
-rpath $(libdir) -o
        sh ${top_builddir}/libtool --mode=link $(CC) $^ $(EXTRA) $(LIBS) 
-rpath $(libdir) -o


#These are my configuration parameters:


./configure --with-threads --with-readline \
 --prefix=${GUILEROOT}                  \
 --build=i686                           \
 --exec-prefix=${GUILEROOT}             \
 --bindir=${GUILEROOT}/bin              \
 --sbindir=${GUILEROOT}/bin             \
 --sysconfdir=${GUILEROOT}/etc          \
 --datadir=${GUILEROOT}                 \
 --sharedstatedir=${GUILEROOT}/com      \
 --localstatedir=${GUILEROOT}/var       \
 --includedir=${GUILEROOT}/include      \
 --oldincludedir=/usr/include           \
 --mandir=/usr/local/man                \
 --infodir=/usr/local/info              \
 --enable-maintainer-mode               \

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]