list building

From: Brian S McQueen
Subject: list building
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:11:23 -0800 (PST)

I am building a list of string via various calls to C functions.  When the
list of strings is complete I pass it off to the C based printing
function.  Anyway, I find myself building the list like this:

        (set! output-list (cons (sgids pref-login) output-list))
        (set! output-list (cons (gids) output-list))
        (set! output-list (cons (getd pref-login) output-list))

This seems very awkward.  How should I go about building a list a string
at a time?

Brian