Re: Worrying development

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: Worrying development
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:58:47 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>

    > I'll try to put forth a proposal in the next days for the string part
    > of the type conversion API that allows Unicode and shared substrings.

If you don't mind, I'd like to do that too -- independently.   But in
a screwy way.

I need to write a spec for the string API of Pika.  So far, the Pika
FFI is such that it could be implemented for Guile very easily.  And,
imo, it's also pretty good as an internal API for almost everything.
If used (gradually migrated to, in the case of Guile) as an internal
API -- I think it's pretty liberating (permitting lots of freedom for
different object representations, thread support, GC strategies,
etc.).

Maybe in the longer term -- unifying over the Pika APIs would be a
general win.

-t