GMP module support

From: farazs
Subject: GMP module support
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:41:13 +0800 (HKT)

        I have just joined the list. I need GMP support  so I sat
and read through the whole GMP in Guile discussion from 2002.

        The problem being discussed was mainly related to bignums
or integers. My problem is that of high-precision floating-point
calculations : so speed of GMP apart that is something guile
simply does not offer.

        Is someone working on a loadable-module for GMP?

        I propose that we create a GMP number-tower which is
symmetric to the guile one (except (+)proper rational numbers) and
allow "jumping" between the two by explicit casting. This way one
can keep fixnums for normal stuff like counts and use GMP numbers
selectively in tight loops where they are required.

- faraz < address@hidden >